|Susan McKay "Writer"
"Writers writer because we must; thus, opening worlds for all of us." Susan McKay
"To me the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the music the words make." Truman Capote
"There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." Red Smith
Second Grade: Blue Ribbon for “Fire Safety Week” promotion, a crayon poster showing people debating whether or not to jump from a flaming building—a mom tossing her baby to a fireperson) with caption: “Fire Safety is Nothing to Toss Aside.”
Seventh Grade: First-prize for story w/ illustration “The Money Tree.”
High School: Gifted student most likely to annoy and disappoint instructors as I (according to them) “discarded my gifts and potential” and became a problem child a.k.a. more interested in reading and reflecting on Mein Kampf, The Second Sex, and Fear of Flying than competing in essay contests with confused teenagers about "How I spent my summer" and "What I want to be when I grow-up." (Who grows up anyway?!)
- College radio and TV: production asst., writer, director, and programmer
- Commercial radio: news director and reporter, highlights included interviews with Ozzie Osborne and Bob Seger, and Bruce Springsteen.
-TV: Producton Assistant ABC; Writer/Producer/Director “Sunrise” morning show for Cable; Sales/Writer/Producer regional cut-in’s on CNN, ESPN, and MTV
-Writer/Producer CBS, including news, commercial spots, and programming, including regional Emmy nomination for documentary on crash of the auto industry in Flint and subsequent rebound.
-Political Reporter News Herald .
- Asst. Creative Director, Senior Writer for Service Merchandise, developing regional and national advertising and promotions.
- Regional Editor for CMGI (MyWay.Com & Alta Vista), creating on-line (portal) newspapers for more than two dozen markets.
- Freelance Creative, including contracts with General Electric, Wcities, TrafficStation, Health Care Management Group, and KPMG.
- More than two dozen articles and essays published in print outlets including The Nation, Mother Jones, Online Journal, The Tennessean, City Paper, Nashville Scene.
- Developed Educational and Media Materials for progressive nonprofits, including pop-ed workshops.
- Poet for Peace
- Policy reports: “Shredding the Safety Net” (progressive taxation) and “Fears. Facts & Finding Solution” (TennCare), "Crisis in the States" (Medicaid)
- Novels: Azura, Saxon Sun, Saxon Moon, and Eli Beight